Why would any sane person put pieces of metal on the ends of
one’s fingers and then spend 10,000 hours doing
thumb-middle-index-thumb-middle-index-thumb-middle with their right hand over
and over and over in front of a metronome?
So people can listen.
Why would a reasonable person try to hyper-extend a pinky
seven inches above the rest of the left hand just to get a decent Bill Monroe
chop chord? Or spend hours pulling on
catgut until blisters as big as silver dollars arise on the index finger of the
right hand?
So people can listen.
Isn’t that what it is all about? Listening?
We spent the last several blog posts learning about what
musicians do to produce a good groove. I now want to turn to our ears – and the
subject of listening – and really hearing this groove. This is important
whether or not you are a musician. Building
listening skills can greatly deepen your experience with the music if you don’t
pick and can significantly accelerate your learning processes if you do pick.
Let me start with a musician’s perspective. Most folks who pick don’t think of playing
and listening as two separate things.
But I think you’ll find it is helpful to do just that. You have playing skills and listening skills
– and these are different from each other.
Let’s briefly cover playing skills first.
Playing skills involve getting your fast-twitch muscles to
twitch at exactly the right time, and then committing it to memory. People talk about muscle memory. This is a bit of a misnomer (because it
happens primarily in your brain and nervous system and not your muscles) but is
an important part of execution – i.e. playing skills. Muscle memory is when you don’t have to think
about the individual notes but instead think at the phrase or maybe even think at the emotional level. For
example: I am playing this break and feel like I should add some drama here and
I know just the lick and here it goes…
In the “training” phase (before you have muscle memory of a
particular lick) the thinking part might go:
“index finger, second fret, first string, pick down, then middle finger
on the third string, fourth fret, pick up” and so forth. When you get this sequence in muscle memory
you no longer need to think in these individual “string, finger, pick
direction” terms but at the higher level of: “I know this perfect lick, it
feels just right and here it goes”… This
is absolutely essential to perform good music, because the conscious processes
in your brain can’t possibly think fast enough to play at the speed of a song
if they are going note-by-note. Nor
would it be possible to follow those emotional hunches that come up when you
are taking a break that “this lick feels like it will fit.”
Now to the listening part... When a musician is executing a
series of notes, that musician is also obviously listening to the notes as they
are being played. But you will find it
helpful to view the listening part of this as a totally separate process. In fact, just as you are training your fast
twitch muscles and imbedding countless phrases into muscle memory, your ear is
simultaneously getting trained to recognize this series of notes as a
“lick”. Believe me, once you’ve spent
400 hours trying to get that eight notes that constitute the reverse roll lick
in Earl’s breakdown just right, you will instantly recognize it when you hear
it on XM61. So your ear has gotten
trained in the process.
Further, you also can train your ear to hear all the
subtleties we discussed last time such as timing and syncopation. For example, if you are paying attention to
the right things, you can hear when musicians start rushing the beat or perhaps
playing behind the beat for a phrase or two.
Even if you are not a musician, the next time you are sitting at a
bluegrass concert, concentrate on the mandolin break to see if he is
rushing. See if you can detect the bass
player trying desperately to hold things back.
Listen for the duration of each bass note. Are they consistent? Are they sustained or staccato? I will be posting on how to listen to each
individual instrument in future editions of this blog so stay tuned.
There is another important benefit of thinking about the
playing and listening processes as separate things. Playing skills and listening skills can
progress at different rates and being aware of this can shed light on problems
that might be happening in your performances. For example, sometimes my playing
skills progress very rapidly and my listening skills might lag behind a
bit. Boy, do I sound good to
myself!!! Quit the day job and buy a
bus!!! This is because I am playing
better than my ability to listen. My
licks all sound fantastic to me – I’ve got all these great new licks in muscle
memory now and can actually execute them!
However, little do I know that my ear hasn’t progressed quite to the
point where I can discern some of the subtleties missing in these licks that
other players perhaps have mastered.
How about the reverse… listening skills become better than
playing skills? Yep, that has happened to me too. Sometimes my listening skills have progressed
rapidly and perhaps my playing skills have not.
Maybe I’ve gotten to the point of where I start to hear and recognize the
subtleties that my buddies are playing in that great new lick I learned last
month and realize all of the sudden that even though I know the lick, it
doesn’t sound quite right. At this point
in time it sounds to me like I’m going backwards (e.g. getting worse) because I’ve
spend a zillion hours on that lick and my ear has learned to hear that it is
not quite right at this point when it used to sound great. My listening skills have improved and my
playing skills have remained the same.
Boy this is depressing – in fact, the more I play the worse
I sound! If you are a musician, I can
guarantee you have experienced this more than once – and it makes you feel like
you want to go wrap your ’23 Loar around the nearest oak tree. Some people call this “plateauing” and it
happens to all of us, and is probably the biggest cause of a potentially good
musician giving up music for good and going out and getting a real job (which
he is going to need to pay for that broken Loar).
As you develop your listening skills, you will find you can
listen to music at all different levels.
When you turn your attention to each phrase and note, you can start to
hear recognizable licks – and how they are being executed. You can hear the different types of lilts or
grooves in each individual song. Is it
greasy? Driving? Peppy?
What are the chords to the song?
Does it go from a I to a V or a IV? (I will cover Nashville notation and
how to hear chords in a future blog post.)
What about the vocal arrangement?
Is it two harmonies above the lead or tenor-above the lead and baritone
below? You can also start to make a
pretty good guess as to what key the song is in, even if you don’t have perfect
pitch (hint: listen for open strings).
Just be careful you don’t drive off the road!
Keep on pickin’!
No comments:
Post a Comment